I did not marry an "Olney Man" myself, but my grandmother sure did! Edna May Reiche Olney met and fell in love with Benjamin Wilder Olney in 1927. Wilder, as he was called, was a charming man with a big wide smile and a heart to match. They were together well over 50 years. Edna was a sturdy, stubborn and loving woman. One would need those characteristics to be married to an Olney man. Their life together was up and down, sometimes frustrating but surely never boring.
You might wonder why I would choose to write a blog with such a title as this one when I am not, by definition, an Olney woman myself. Well, the Olney men in my line have been fairly well researched and written about. They were tough, adventurous, independent, and sometimes rowdy men. I can't imagine they were very easy to live with. This blog is an attempt to get to know these women and to share their stories with you. It is my hope that through this journey I will arrive at a place of compassion and understanding about my family history and what makes me who I am.
I hope you will join me.
Cheers, LYN
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Lovina Jane Woolsey Olney

Lovina Jane Woolsey Olney was born in Pine Valley, Utah on April 4, 1871. She was the daughter of Mary Larsen and Joseph Smith Woolsey. Mary was an immigrant from Denmark. As a sixteen year old girl in Denmark she left her home in the countryside for work in the city. It was there she met Mormon missionaries. She was very interested in their message. Mary returned home for a visit and shared with her parents her feelings about the new religion. They forbade her to have anything to do with it and, if she chose to join this church, she would not be welcome to return to their home. Mary chose the church. Along with her uncle and
Lovina as a young woman
his family Mary left Denmark for a new home in Utah. She married Joseph Smith Woolsey, a young Mormon man named for the famous Prophet and founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Lovina was about 11 years old when her parents chose to join a group of pioneers who set out to establish a new settlement on the San Juan river system in eastern Utah. This group would come to be called the "Hole in the Rock" pioneer expedition. Lovina's family eventually settled in Safford, Arizona. It was there that Lovina met and fell in love with Benjamin Olney.
More on Lovina and Ben's life together as my blogging moves on to the next Olney woman.
Cheers, Lyn
3 comments:
- Patricia said...
-
I like the picture of Lovina, and admire Mary's courage to follow her convictions that took her so far from home.
-
February 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM
- Whitney said...
-
I agree! Many of my ancestors are from Denmark and the more I study their lives, the more I am inspired by their courage! By learning about them I become empowered to live up the heritage they left for me! Thanks for sharing!
-
February 4, 2010 at 7:59 PM
- Catherine Winburn-Caselman said...
-
Your blog is looking really great! I love all the photos. It really adds to your blog.
-
February 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)