The Olney Women

Edna May Reiche Olney
Lavina Jane Woolsey Olney
Agnes Jane Arnold Olney
Mary Katherine Tanner Olney
Amelia Greaves Olney
Nancy Paget Olney
Sarah Pierce Olney
Hallelujah Brown Olney
Mary Whipple Olney
Mary Ashton Olney
Mary Small Olney



Why Blog?

I did not marry an "Olney Man" myself, but my grandmother sure did! Edna May Reiche Olney met and fell in love with Benjamin Wilder Olney in 1927. Wilder, as he was called, was a charming man with a big wide smile and a heart to match. They were together well over 50 years. Edna was a sturdy, stubborn and loving woman. One would need those characteristics to be married to an Olney man. Their life together was up and down, sometimes frustrating but surely never boring.

You might wonder why I would choose to write a blog with such a title as this one when I am not, by definition, an Olney woman myself. Well, the Olney men in my line have been fairly well researched and written about. They were tough, adventurous, independent, and sometimes rowdy men. I can't imagine they were very easy to live with. This blog is an attempt to get to know these women and to share their stories with you. It is my hope that through this journey I will arrive at a place of compassion and understanding about my family history and what makes me who I am.

I hope you will join me.

Cheers, LYN

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Good Cooks run in the Family (?)

Today I am making my Grandmother's rolls. Her rolls were always hot, light, and oh so delicious. Mine, well I am working on them. (Ever since moving to high altitude I can't seem to make the rolls come up as well.) I'll keep trying. One of Grandma's traditions was to fix a birthday dinner for each one of the grand kids. We could choose anything we wanted, but it was always spareribs, rolls and oil and vinegar green salad. We loved it and Grandma loved cooking for us. She was a good cook and an excellent baker. She made the best apple pies. Most of her baking was taught to her by her mother-in-law, Lavina Jane Woolsey Olney. At one time Lavina was a private baker and she also spent some time running her own restaurant.

I will begin blogging about Lavina Olney this next week. Her life with husband Benjamin Olney was anything but normal. She stood by her Olney man through the ups and downs of ranch life, which failed, many moves, and two arrests. I do not remember her personally as I was very young when she died even though she lived into her nineties. I will be sharing the memories of my mother, grandfather and grandmother that have been passed on to me.

Cheers, Lyn

1 comment:

Susie said...

What a fun tradition to be able to recreate some of her recipes