I did not marry an "Olney Man" myself, but my grandmother sure did! Edna May Reiche Olney met and fell in love with Benjamin Wilder Olney in 1927. Wilder, as he was called, was a charming man with a big wide smile and a heart to match. They were together well over 50 years. Edna was a sturdy, stubborn and loving woman. One would need those characteristics to be married to an Olney man. Their life together was up and down, sometimes frustrating but surely never boring.
You might wonder why I would choose to write a blog with such a title as this one when I am not, by definition, an Olney woman myself. Well, the Olney men in my line have been fairly well researched and written about. They were tough, adventurous, independent, and sometimes rowdy men. I can't imagine they were very easy to live with. This blog is an attempt to get to know these women and to share their stories with you. It is my hope that through this journey I will arrive at a place of compassion and understanding about my family history and what makes me who I am.
I hope you will join me.
Cheers, LYN
Friday, January 15, 2010
Family Quilts
I am a beginning quilter, and I mean beginning. I have a sewing background and I thought that quilting would be an interesting extension of my sewing hobby, and it is. It's just not as easy as it looks. Anyway, I was working with some pieces, trying to get them to fit together. The harder I tried the worse it looked, so I backed off and quit trying to manipulate it so much. After a bit the quilt square came together, not perfectly, but nice. I was happy with it. I got thinking about family from this quilting point of view. Families are not perfect either and when we quit manipulating them they do seem to come together better, at least in my experience. So our families may not be perfect, but when we view the whole quilt together the imperfections don't show so much, in fact we just may find they add a little character.
Cheers, LYN
Cheers, LYN
3 comments:
- Jill N. Crandell said...
-
Great analogy!
-
January 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM
- Rebecca said...
-
Like your title and the way that you are going about your blog. I love to quilt and grew up watching my grandmothers quilt.
-
January 22, 2010 at 5:57 PM
- Catherine Winburn-Caselman said...
-
I quite agree! That is what makes family history research so interesting. It's the "colorful" characters that we love to read about.
-
January 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)