I did not marry an "Olney Man" myself, but my grandmother sure did! Edna May Reiche Olney met and fell in love with Benjamin Wilder Olney in 1927. Wilder, as he was called, was a charming man with a big wide smile and a heart to match. They were together well over 50 years. Edna was a sturdy, stubborn and loving woman. One would need those characteristics to be married to an Olney man. Their life together was up and down, sometimes frustrating but surely never boring.
You might wonder why I would choose to write a blog with such a title as this one when I am not, by definition, an Olney woman myself. Well, the Olney men in my line have been fairly well researched and written about. They were tough, adventurous, independent, and sometimes rowdy men. I can't imagine they were very easy to live with. This blog is an attempt to get to know these women and to share their stories with you. It is my hope that through this journey I will arrive at a place of compassion and understanding about my family history and what makes me who I am.
I hope you will join me.
Cheers, LYN
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Lavina and Ben's Family
Ben and Lavina spent most of their married life together trying to make a living in eastern Arizona. Ben was raised as a rancher and wanted to have his own place. While ranching he also served as a Deputy Sheriff under his uncle. George A. Olney was elected Sheriff of Graham County for two terms, 1892-1896. Ben also spent time as a mine guard for the copper mine in Globe Arizona and as an Arizona Ranger from 1906-1909.
Ben and "Vina," as she was called, had a family of five children, two sons and three daughters. George and Benjamin Wilder (my grandfather) and daughters Viola Agnes, Grace and Lillian Mary. Families are not without their tragedies. Ben lost the ranch. My grandfather told me that he was very upset. Ben placed every tool in its place and prepared to leave. Back then all improvements to a ranch had to be left with the property, including the cattle. Grandpa said it broke his heart and he walked the place, swearing the whole time.
Grandpa told me about little Lillian Mary. She was the youngest of the children and was not to be with the family long. She was born November 29, 1911 and died January 25, 1914. She was blind by the time of her death and it is believed that she had a brain tumor. Here is a picture of little Lillian Mary Olney.

The way I live today makes it difficult for me to understand what the worries of life were like back then. No social security. No health insurance. Probably not even a doctor close by. I suppose you took what life handed you and did the best you could. I imagine the simple pleasures, a beautiful sunset, the family gathered around together, kept them hoping in the future. Life couldn't have been easy for parents or children but as Grandpa would tell me stories I remember fondness in his voice that portrayed love for his family.
Cheers, Lyn
Ben and "Vina," as she was called, had a family of five children, two sons and three daughters. George and Benjamin Wilder (my grandfather) and daughters Viola Agnes, Grace and Lillian Mary. Families are not without their tragedies. Ben lost the ranch. My grandfather told me that he was very upset. Ben placed every tool in its place and prepared to leave. Back then all improvements to a ranch had to be left with the property, including the cattle. Grandpa said it broke his heart and he walked the place, swearing the whole time.
Grandpa told me about little Lillian Mary. She was the youngest of the children and was not to be with the family long. She was born November 29, 1911 and died January 25, 1914. She was blind by the time of her death and it is believed that she had a brain tumor. Here is a picture of little Lillian Mary Olney.

The way I live today makes it difficult for me to understand what the worries of life were like back then. No social security. No health insurance. Probably not even a doctor close by. I suppose you took what life handed you and did the best you could. I imagine the simple pleasures, a beautiful sunset, the family gathered around together, kept them hoping in the future. Life couldn't have been easy for parents or children but as Grandpa would tell me stories I remember fondness in his voice that portrayed love for his family.
Cheers, Lyn
1 comment:
- David Slagowski said...
-
Isn't it heart breaking to realize that so many little souls were not in a lot of our ancestor's homes for very long. Of course we know the children went to a better place, but how did the father, mother and the other children feel when a child was lost. And what a pretty picture of her!
I am enjoying reading your blog very much and am looking forward to your next one. -
February 26, 2010 at 8:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)